It seems that Google’s refrigerator could not hide the system “Ice Cream Sandwich” anymore. And the release of next version of Android “Ice Cream Sandwich” is near (expecting it on this fall), after Google gave some information about its next version of Android at ” Google I/O” conference, we thought at The Geeks Club, that it is better to share some information about Ice Cream Sandwich with you of what we knew so far.
2. User Interface
The new interface bring some new features and themed icons:
- New launcher.
- New App drawer.
- Revamped notification bar.
- New icons in blue.
- Totally rethemed Gmail.
- Four icons on the dock of the new launcher and a new icon which appears to be a task switcher.
- Apps/Widgets Tabs at the new launcher from “Honeycomb”.
- Multitasking UI, advanced applications and much more.
3. Ice Cream Sandwich release date
The Major Information about the release date of Ice Cream Sandwich is Q4 of 2011, and with Samsung working for the upcoming Nexus Prime , we wouldn’t be surprised to see it in October 2011.
4. Will it be Android 2.4 or 4.0?
The latest version of Android is likely to be Android 4.0. Unifying the OS will melt Android 2.x and Android 3.0 Honeycomb, into jar called ” Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0″ .
5. Ice Cream Sandwich features
Ice Cream Sandwich will incorporate all the best bits of Honeycomb, and make them useable on smartphones too. it means one OS for all, it will bring all the amazing Android 3.1 features to phones such USB support, so you’ll be to plug in USB devices such as mouse and keyboard and specially game controllers to phones to play Asphalt; Raging Thunder2; Hero of Sparta and more. It is worth mentioning that Google improved the camera application a lot by Face Recognition which will now feature software to track your face,and which now has a panorama mode.
During the Google I/O keynote we have seen a new stunning feature, 3D head tracking it was so cool and funny,and I really loved that feature, it uses the front-mounted camera and it has the ability figure out who is speaking among two persons and focus on him while he is talking .
So The Features are :
- Open Accessory API
- Cloud Music
- One OS for all
- NFC Sharing
- Gaming improvments
- Expanding, Resizable Widgets
Means you can expand the size of a scrollable home screen widget, while existing scrollable widgets can also be upgraded by devs with a couple of lines of code.
- Ability to be a USB host (you can plug USB Keyboard, Mouse etc).
- Face Detection (in Camera).
- Single UI interface .
- Reading offline for saved Web Pages.
- Will be available for the Nexus S and Nexus Prime gets it first.
What are we expecting in Ice Cream Sandwich?
- Support for multiple cores for phones (this is pretty much a given at this point).
- A way to play DRM-protected files (especially movies bought in iTunes) on devices.
- Holographic UI like in honeycomb.
- Honeycomb-like multitasking.
We all know the idea that pictures speak louder than words? Once you watch the video you will know just what we mean.
Google I/O 2011: How to NFC
Face Detection and 3D head tracking:
Full Video of Google I/O 2011: Keynote Day One