Apple launched the new Apple iPad 2 in a special event at Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco on 2nd March 2011. The iPad 2 has been unveiled to world by the CEO of Apple, Steve Jobs. He cleared in first instance that iPad 2 is not just an upgrade of iPad but it is completely a whole new device designed from scratch.
When we compare iPad 2 with first generation iPad, the difference is not really viewable on the Software side but major alterations are viewable on Hardware side. This Apple device is equipped with faster processor (1 GHz dual-core Apple A5 Processor Chip), Twice of RAM capacity (iPad 2: 512MB/iPad: 256MB), better Screen Resolution and Graphics etc.
Apple also transformed the looks and design of iPad2, making it not only lighter and thinner but also more better than the iPad. It is 33% more slim than the first generation iPad. The iPad 2 is available for both GSM 3G and CDMA EV-DO Cellular network. Apple planned to keep both AT&T and Verizon customers happy at the same time.
It have the latest version of iOS installed in it. The iOS v4.3 is the most advanced mobile OS available in this world and it lets you do many things just with a single touch. 65,000 Apps ready market makes it really useful.
So, is this new iPad ready to meet your expectations? Let’s decide it after reading our review on iPad 2.
New Light and Thinner Design
iPad 2 is fully re-designed and it is much differ from the older one, it is now comparatively thinner – 8.8mm only, thinner than iPhone 4. It is flat and not as much oval as before from the back and also has been changed to a simple form around the speakers. It is available in both black and white colors.
Apple installed both front and rear end cameras in iPad 2 for 3G video calling and HD video recording. A VGA camera in front and a camera with 720p HD video recording capability on back side. The camera’s aren’t quite impressive as other tablets are equipped with 5MP+ camera for high quality of photography.
As we said, there are two cameras in iPad 2, therefore there will be a property of Elvis Time that lets you connect video and audio devices supporting the iOS or Mac as well as this feature would allow you to talk to your friends in real rather than the voice or text based chats.
iPad 2 has a support for gyroscope inherited from iPhone 4 and also the iPod Touch fourth generation. Gyroscope works collectively with device accelerometer to increase motion sensing precision and allows the iPad to measure in which path you are moving or rotating it in space (roll, pitch and yaw), how much and how fast.
iPad 2 Screen
The screen is the same as in the previous model and has almost same specifications.
- The LED screen measuring 9.7 inches with IPS panel and Backlit.
- High Resolution of 1024 × 768 and the presence of 132 pixels per inch.
- Covered with a layer of Finger-print resistant oleo-phobic coating so that iPad 2 is not affected by fingerprints.
iPad 2 provides support for Video mirroring and video out in HD Up to 1080p with use of Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter. (cables are available separately).
This is an additional feature in Apple iOS 4 devices, which Apple has dramatically improved in iPad 2. It is also available on the iPad, it allows you to sync all your media files in the iPad with your HD TV or Mac/PC wirelessly using Wi-Fi connection.
Air Print on iPad 2 lets you print your email, photos, web pages, and documents right from your iPad over Wi-Fi. There’s no software or drivers are required to download or install, and no cables to connect. With just a few taps, you can get a printed copy of whatever you are viewing on your iPad screen.
Tech Specs of iPad 2
- Processor: Apple equipped iPad 2 with its latest A5 Processor Chip. It’s a 1GHz Dual Core Processor.
- Graphics Processor: Graphics processor is nine times faster than the previous model, which helps you to watch movies at its best and also the sights and playing heavily graphics processor consuming games is much better.
- Device Storage: It comes with option of 16GB, 32GB and 64GB storage sizes.
- Connectivity Solutions: Wi-Fi + 3G model: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), Wi-Fi + 3G for Verizon model: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz), Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology.
- Connection Options: 30-pin dock connector port for charging, 3.5-mm stereo headphone mini-jack, Built-in speaker and Microphone.
- Battery: iPad 2 comes with the same battery of iPad 1, set to run up to 10 hours when fully utilizing the device and a full month when kept in standby mode.
- Smart Covers: Apple has introduced this brilliant new accessory for iPad 2 and it really makes iPad 2 looks super cool and protects the screen from getting dusty or damaged, Apple named it as Smart Cover, where you can cover iPad like blankets across the screen or if you prefer to hold iPad, the Smart Cover flips back and out of the way like a page in a magazine. It attaches with your iPad using magnets and align itself automatically to fit itself perfectly.
- Apple Digital AV Adapter: The new Apple Digital AV Adapter mirrors exactly what you see on your iPad so that everyone in the room can enjoy it on your widescreen TV, video projection screen, or other HDMI-compatible display. The cable also lets you charge your iPad 2 at the same time.
- iPad Camera Connection Kit: The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card.
These accessories really make iPad 2 more useful and easy to use with other devices. There are more accessories available also, you can find about them using the link available at the end of the review.
Inbuilt Apps in iPad 2
There are many essential apps comes pre installed in iPad 2 like Facetime, PhotoBooth, Safari, iBooks and many more. The whole list of inbuilt apps is available here. You can find all the apps for iPad from Apple here. The new apps for iPad 2 includes iMovie, GarageBand, Numbers, Keynote, Pages and many more. And these apps are insanely awesome, you’ll love using them!
iPad 2 Price and Availability
The price of different SKU’s for USA are as follows:
As illustrated in the table, there are two special models for iPad 2 with different pricing based on storage capacity. iPad 2 will be available by 11 March in the United States at Apple online store and by 25 March in the following 25 countries:
- New Zealand
In the Box of iPad 2
- Dock Connector to USB Cable
- 10W USB Power Adapter
iPad 2 special Launch event Keynote video
Apple iPad 2 will have to face real competitions with its peers like Motorola XOOM, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, HP Web OS based Tabs etc. in both consumer and business markets. Also, RIM is planning to launch 7-inch Playbook tablet soon in the market. But with the starting price tag of $499 USD of iPad 2, you just can’t beat it!
There are different versions available based on connectivity types (WiFi or WiFi + 3G), storage capacity, telecommunications services (GSM/CDMA) in the selection and support, and even in the functionality of the software (like GarageBand App) and with the current features which iPad 2 has, there is no substitute in the market really is available, and therefore it impulses iPad 2 boldly! It depends from individual to individual whether they want to upgrade to iPad 2 or not!
Apple was the king of tablet market last year and with new & excellent iPad 2, just like last year, we have no doubt that Apple will rule the market this year also.
Official Product Website | Accessories | Shop iPad 2| App Store.