Mac OS X developed, marketed, and sold by Apple Inc. is a series of Unix-based operating systems. It is the successor to Mac OS 9(1999). From 2002, Macintosh computer systems included Mac OS X under it and it is the tenth major version of Apple’s operating system. One of the major differences between the previous versions of Mac OS and OS X was the addition of the Aqua GUI, a graphical user interface which has impressed its users immensely.
Why is Mac OS X computer better?
- 64-bit computing – to make it more responsive and secured from the hackers. Mac OS X still comes in one version that runs both 64-bit and 32-bit applications.
- Grand Central Dispatch – GCD-enabled programs can distribute their work across all available cores, whether they’re running on an 8-core Mac Pro, a dual-core Mac mini, or anything in between.
- OpenCL – Open Computing Language, surpassing speeds of a trillion operations per second, automatically optimizes graphics processor in the Mac which enables QuickTime Player to deliver up to 2.4x faster performance.
- Faster shutdown, wake up, and Time Machine backup.
- Customize the Services menu.
- More efficient file sharing even in sleep mode.
- Cisco IPsec VPN connections.
- Gamma changed from 1.8 to 2.2 for better digital color needs.
- Automatic printer drivers updates.
- New Automator templates and new split-pane terminal.
- Search iPhoto Faces and places in Spotlight.
- Bidirectional text (for Hebrew and Arabic) and Text substitution.
- New fonts like Menlo with new thesaurus.
- Automatic time zone setup.
- Reliable installation with 50% faster speed taking up less than half the disk space of the previous version, freeing about 7GB.
Dock items are scrollable to
- Navigate the folders in stacks
- Activate Expose application
- Jump around web pages with web spots.
- Bluetooth Braille display support.
- VoiceOver trackpad control.
Quick Time X and Preview
- Quick trimming, Live HTTP streaming.
- Easy uploads to YouTube and MobileMe with greater color accuracy.
- Easy PDF text selection and Image correction histogram.
Mail, Safari, iCal, and iChat are now built with 64-bit code, so are more responsive, whereas Finder has been rewritten in Cocoa.
The Mac OS X is a powerful operating system with beautifully blended features on it that makes it stylish, reliable, secure and compatible from all aspect. The next version of the Mac will be the Lion.