The Sony PSP runs on a system software referred to as Firmware. And if you are not a newbie in the world of PSP then you very well know that when it comes to the PSP, ‘It’s all about the Firmware’.
For people who do not know much about this, Firmware is the system software that runs on your PSP as I have already mentioned. It acts as the Operating system of your Device and is regularly updated and improved over time by Sony as they find out bugs and problems in their firmware and also when they want to include new features.
People are always trying to find out means to Update their PSP to a new Firmware Version. Another interesting point is that people even try to find out why should we Update our PSP to a Newer Firmware.
The basic reason for updating your PSP to a newer Firmware Version is to stay up-to-date with the latest software and get rid of all the bugs and problems that were present in the previous version. And at the same time it is important to update your PSP Firmware so that you are be able to play the Latest and Newly Launched Games. So let us check out how to do it.
How to Update your PSP Firmware?
There are 2 methods by which you can update your PSP Firmware.
1. Direct Update
- Connect your PSP to the Internet.
- Now go to SETTINGS -> SYSTEM UPDATE and press X.
- The device will detect the latest PSP Firmware that it can support.
- Download the latest Firmware Version file that has been shown.
- The installation should start once you finish downloading the file.
- If it doesn’t, go to GAME -> MEMORY STICK on your PSP and run the Update yourself.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and you are done.
2. Custom Update
Now this method is useful for people who prefer to download the Update File using a computer and then install it on their PSP and for people who want to update their PSP to a new firmware but not the latest One. I said so because, there are a lot of times when you are on Version 6.00 and you prefer to or want to update to Version 6.20 or 6.35 instead of the latest 6.60. So just follow these steps in order to Custom Update your PSP.
- Search for the PSP Firmware Update file for the Version you want on the Internet.
- Once you download the file, rename it to EBOOT.PBP if it does not already have that name.
- Connect your PSP to the computer and open your PSP Memory Stick.
- Go to PSP -> GAME and make a folder named UPDATE and paste the EBOOT.PBP file into it.
- Once done, go to your PSP and you should be able to find this Update File in GAME -> MEMORY STICK.
- Run this file by pressing X and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Your PSP will be updated to the Firmware of your choice.
Now after you have finished updating your PSP using any of the above methods, on your PSP go to SETTINGS -> SYSTEM SETTINGS -> SYSTEM INFORMATION and check the System Software. You should be able to see the Firmware Version to which you just updated your device. Once you finish the Update process, you no longer need the Update file and hence you can delete it if you want.