This guide will walk you through and give you the ability to flash your Nexus S phone with the latest versions of Customized ROMs.
1. Make a backup
It is always better to take a backup of your important information in case of any emergency, use Titanium Backup. and you can also Backup your SMS and calls using : SMS Backup & Restore, Call Backup & Restore.
2. Download Flash Tools
– Download the tools file and unzip it. Tools.zip.
( In this file there are two directories: drivers and fastboot.)
3. Unlocking Bootloader
Warning : Unlocking Bootloader will delete all data on your SD card , and will void the warranty.
1. Shutdown your phone.
2. Hold down VOLUME UP (+) and POWER for about 5 seconds. Then the screen will get into bootloader.
3. Connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable.
4. Install the drivers: On “Device Manager“, right click the unrecognized “Android 1.0” device, and then select “Update Driver ” and Choose to manually install the driver, select: drivers/x86 directory( for x86 users) and drivers/x64 ( for x64 users). Then click Next to complete the installation.
*Once everything is okay*
5. click on unlock.bat in fastboot directory.
The unlock interface appears on your phone.
6. Press VOLUME UP (+) to select YES and press POWER to confirm.
*Congratulation you have Unlocked The Bootloader*
4. Flashing Recovery
*Get Back to the Bootloader interface*
*And again once everything is okay*
Click on flash_recovery.bat in fastboot directory and Wait…
Congratulations Recovery Should now be installed.
* Clockwork Mod Recovery version: 188.8.131.52 , Download latest version (184.108.40.206) Recovery.img.*
5. Flashing ROMs
For Nexus S, I know two amazing ROMs: CyanogenMod & MIUI .
*Install via Recovery: Choose the Mod you like more*
- Download latest version of CyanogenMod CM7.0.3-NS.
- Download latest version of Miui-1.7.22- NS.
- After downloading your ROM put the zip file on the root of the SD card.
- Boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.
- On the Recovery Menu Select the option : Wipe data/factory reset. and confirm with “yes” then Wipe cache partition too.
- Select “+++Go Back+++” to return to the main interface of Recovery Mode.
- To Select “Install zip from sdcard” . then select “ Choose zip from sdcard”.
- Select your ROM zip file from the list and Confirm installation.
- Once the installation has finished, select +++Go Back+++ , and select “Reboot system now”.
- If the system Booted correctly you have flashed your ROM successfully.