With the launch of ‘The Next iPad’ Apple rolled out iOS 5.1 update for the existing iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad owners supporting, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G, iPad 2 and iPad 1.
The Next iPad will be factory installed with iOS 5.1. The iOS 5.1 is updated with improvements and bug fixes which includes;
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV programs and films on iPad optimized for clear an loud sound.
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes an issue that occasionally causes audio to drop for outgoing calls
If you aren’t among the above iOS owner and using iOS 5.0.1, I highly recommend you not to update iOS 5.1 . The main reason behind it is untethered jailbreak! On the next day of the release of iOS 5.1 it was pwned by jailbreaking it. However the jailbreak is tethered that means you will lose your jailbreak once you reboot your device.
At this moment since there is no untethered jailbreak, @pod2g is working on iOS 5.1 to find some vulnerabilities. That means untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 will be coming, there is no success yet so the jailbreak might be coming next month. Likewise, if you have already saved the SHSHBlobs of your device running iOS 5.0.1, you can still downgrade your device. But those who have not, cannot jump back to iOS 5.0.1.
Also the above mentioned features of iOS 5.1 are not essentially needed at this moment excluding the Japanese language support for Siri. So it’s better to stay on the same iOS 5.0.1 firmware until the untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1 or any of the later firmware jumps in.