Porting Siri on old generation devices was really a tough job. It was nearly impossible as Apple owned the copyrights, however iOS 5.0.1 brought a ray of hope to port Siri on old generation devices.
chpwn a well known developer has finally developed a legal Siri port named as ‘Spire’ which supports,
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPad 1
For getting Siri on any of the above mentioned devices it is necessary that you are jailbroken on iOS 5.0.1. If you have not jailbroken, jailbreak today itself as untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 is already out.
Still, Spire is not the complete port. In order to use Siri, authorisation from Apple is required and for this information from iPhone 4S is must. To make this possible Spire allows you to enter your own proxy server address. chpwn describes the steps to get Siri poxy on his blog, this is what you might need to do.
- westbaer’s SiriProxy fork
- Own an iPhone 4S too: Maybe you already own an iPhone 4S, and just want Siri on another device of yours. This is simple; you can just use the above proxy yourself.
- Find a friend: Maybe your friend has an iPhone 4S and will let you use their authentication tokens (maybe in exchange for some cool SiriProxy plugins). Then, you can share the authentication. Or, maybe you gave your relative your old iPhone when you got your iPhone 4S: now you can share your token and give them Siri.
- Pay up: It’s very likely that soon we will see for-pay services online to rent you some space on a Siri proxy, attached to one of their iPhone 4S devices. I haven’t seen anything like this yet, but I’ll keep my eye out, and I would encourage anyone who is interested to set something like this up.
- And now for something completely different: As I suggested earlier, you might be able to replace Siri entirely. A simple method might be to use Google Chrome’s speech “API” hooked up to some code to decode the Siri requests and parse Google’s result. Or, someone could hook it up to some logic backends like many of the clones available on Android: the possibilities are endless.
How to install Spire
Spire is available on Cydia for FREE! It is about 100MB as this new port fetches all the necessary files legally from Apple’s server. In order to get Spire, just follow these steps
Step One: Open Cydia and head over the Search tab.
Step Two: Search for ‘Spire’ and Install it.
(There is no need to add any repo as it is available on BigBoss repository which is by default)
Step Three: That’s it, you are done!
You will be able to experience Siri completely only if you opt any of the above mentioned way to get Siri poxy. So don’t be disappointed if Spire doesn’t work as you were expecting.