LG officially announced LG G2 with a 5.2 inch Full HD True IPS display powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad core SoC. In an interesting design change, LG has included the volume rocker and a power button on the back of the Smartphone below the 13 MP camera and has thus been able to keep the bezels ultra small with no buttons on sides. It will use a Nano-SIM and will be the first Smartphone to support 24 bit, 192 KHz audio outputs.
Here is a list of specifications:
- 5.2 inch Full HD IPS LCD display with 423 PPI pixel density and 450 nits of brightness
- 2.26 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC with 500 MHz Adreno 330 GPU
- 2 GB LRDDR3 800 MHz Graphic RAM
- 16/32 GB internal storage
- 13 MP rear autofocus camera with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) and 1080p@60fps recording, LED Flash, Video Stabilization, HDR and Stereo sound recording
- 2.1 MP front camera
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, Micro USB, AGPS, GLONASS, NFC
- Networks: GSM, HSPDA, LTE, LTE-A
- 3000 mAh non-removable battery, Full day usage
- Dimensions: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm and weight is 140 g
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS with Optimus UI on top
- Black/White colors
Dr. Jong-Seok Park, President and CEO of LG Mobile Communications said:
We have always listened to and learned from consumers in pursuit of innovation. We took these insights to new heights in developing LG G2, the most exciting and ambitious mobile phone in our company’s history.
LG has included some great new software features and UI elements:
- KnockON: Can turn on/off the display using the knocking gesture twice on the screen
- Answer Me: Answers the phone automatically (while lowering the volume) when raised to the ear
- Plug & Pop: Recommends options that are likely to be used with a headset, when plugged in
- Text Link: Lets user select text in an SMS and save it in the memo/calendar, Maps and/or Search.
- Guest Mode: Customized guest mode with pre-selected apps with a secondary unlock pattern
- Quick Remote: Controls home entertainment devices and learns “to operate multiple devices with flexible layouts and keys”
- Slide Aside: Switch between apps (multitasking) using three finger swipe
LG G2 is also the first Smartphone to use Graphic RAM which reduces the power consumption by 26% on still frames and increase usage time by 10%. LG G2 full HD IPS display also packs 6 million subpixels compared to just 4 million on Galaxy S4’s Full HD Amoled display. Other than screen quality, more subpixels bring longer life to the display. LG has also put up a barrage of official G2 videos on its YouTube UK channel. LG G2 will be released over 130 wireless carriers in the next two months, starting with South Korea followed by North America, Europe and other markets. In the US, it will be available on all four major telecom operators. No information was given on pricing.