Nokia N9 smartphone has been announced. This new offering from Nokia is loaded with MeeGo OS – a merger of Nokia’s Linux Maemo software platform with Intel’s Moblin, which is also based on Linux open-source software. You will not find any front-facing button in this smartphone; hence we can call Nokia N9 as the world’s first pure touchscreen phone. Just double tap the screen of N9 to unlock and to go to home screen just swipe from the edge of the screen. Doesn’t this feature remind us of the features of Android and iOS devices?
Nokia N9 has been equipped with an awesome 8 megapixel auto-focus camera and it sports a Carl Zeiss lens (super wide 28mm lens) for perfect photography, and dual LED flash, Digital shutter, Continuous auto-focus, Touch-to-focus and exposure lock, Focal length: 3.77mm / 28mm and HD Video recording @ 30fps (in mp4). With all these features, it will work as a complete digital camera for you.
Black, cyan and magenta are the three color variants available. 16GB and 64GB are the two storage space variants of Nokia N9.
Web browser in N9 is supportive to HTML5 and Nokia N9 has the premium polycarbonate material body cover and powerful antenna for superior network performance.
This new phone has 1 GB RAM for multitasking and 3.9-inch super AMOLED display (16:9 FWVGA, 854 x 480 pixels) for clean and clear picture, gorilla glass technology used in display, which prevents cracks and scratches and for a more natural swiping motion the display glass is curved.
In Nokia N9 there are 3 home views at the home screen. In Applications view, you can launch and organize your apps. In events view, you can view your call notifications, texts, calendar events, social networking feeds and more. Finally in Open applications view, you can switch between all recently used live apps. This feature was not seen in the Nokia’s previous Symbian devices.
MS Outlook synchronization is featured in this mobile and you are allowed to view documents in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF and Open Document Formats. This phone also includes some unique Sensors – Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Proximity sensor and Ambient light detector. Browsing will be faster with 3G HSDPA up to 14.4 Mbps, HSUPA 5.7 Mbps. This device is Wireless LAN and Wi-Fi enabled device.
Additional Specifications of Nokia N9:
- Dimensions: 116.45 x 61.2 x 7.6-12.1 mm,
- Weight: 135 gm
- Talk-time: GSM – up to 11 hours. WCDMA (3G) – up to7 hours.
- Standby time: GSM- up to380 hours. WCDMA (3G) – up to450 hours. Video playback time is (720P) 4.5 hours and music playback time is 50 hours.
- Apps included: Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Swype, Track and Protect, Galaxy on Fire 2, Joikuspot Wi-Fi tethering, Accuweather, Angry Birds Magic, Mail, video player, Drive, AP News, Real Golf, Feeds, search, calculator, Calendar, Contacts, music player, photo editor, Ovi Store, Maps, web browser, messaging, and photos. Third party apps will be downloadable through the Nokia Store.
- Price: N9 will be priced at around the $700 (as per its features and estimated calculations) for a 16GB storage variant. This is the estimated price only.
Will Intel + Nokia operating system (MeeGo) able to compete with the Apple iOS and Google Android – which are already dominating the mobile OS market? That is something yet to be seen!
Will you buy this new platform device, rather than buying an iPhone or Android or a Windows Phone 7 device?