With increasing popularity of blogging, bloggers are frequently looking for fresh and useful blogging platforms. A number of blogging platforms are available in the market with each, having different features than the other one. So the choice of platform depends on the individual’s convenience and preference.
However, it’s a fact, that WordPress and Movable Type are top platforms, which became arch rivals. Even top web hosting service providers all over the world got used to this rivalry. The objective of this article is to have an insight view into this rivalry.
WordPress is an open source blogging software that has become really popular among bloggers because it offers impressive features with a very easy licensing policy. Its latest available version is 3.1.3.
- Have the easiest installation method.
- Its written in PHP language – open source, highly customizable, millions of developers available.
- Saves contents upon the MySQL database – one of the most efficient databases which can afford really high traffic sites.
- Incredibly flexible, customizable, localizable.
- Free license modification and distribution of source code.
- WordPress is known for its developer as well user friendliness. Any blogger who needs advanced customization, WordPress is the most preferred choice. It offers automatic spam bock plug-in and pinging, among thousands of others plugins which practically can do anything you want to do with your blog.
- WordPress also can be run in a wide range of web server platforms like Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd etc.
- The only negative aspect of this is, WordPress by default doesn’t allow any advertisement feature in blogs. This is a crucial drawback.
Frankly speaking, unlike Movable Type, WordPress is more suitable for advanced users who like to do several enhancements with their blog.
Movable Type is another popular blogging software. Its first version was launched long back in 2001. Its latest version 5.1 has already hit the market.
- Its written in Pearl.
- Runs on almost all platforms.
- Stores contents in several databases, including Berkeley DB and MySQL etc.
- Allows better controls over contents.
- Simple administrative interface.
- Multiple blog managing facility by default.
- The main problem of Movable Type is , it requires a costly user license system. Like WordPress, it’s not an open source software.
- Its static functioning system is not fit for quick modification and adjustments.
So WordPress beats it in terms of flexibility too. This is serious drawback. Not only that, Movable Type’s installation process is quite complex whereas, it’s rival is very good in this regard.
Google Trends also speaks the same story –
According to me, Movable Type lacks behind WordPress, in terms of features and functionality. However, needs and choices vary from one person to another. So make your choice as per your requirements and affordance.
- 10 Best Online Photo Sharing Websites
- Best Video Players for Android devices in 2019
- Best Loan apps for Android
- Best Photo Editing Apps for Android
- Best Video Editor Apps for iPhone
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- Best Android Launchers
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android