The Facebook Guide for Parents is designed to help you understand what Facebook is and how to use it safely. With it, you will be better informed and able to communicate with young Facebook users in your life.
That’s important because:
- If something goes wrong, we want our children to come to us and
- As the Internet becomes increasingly social and mobile, a parent’s guidance and support are ever more key to young people’s well-being in social media and technology.
Just like communities in the physical world, no social networking site, virtual world, online game, or any other social-media service can provide a guarantee of 100% safety, Facebook included. Why? Because this is the social Web, and safety depends a great deal on users’ behavior toward one another. Facebook provides safety and privacy features and education for its users. Parents would benefit from visiting Facebook’s Safety Center, a comprehensive resource in the site with information for Teens, Parents, Educators, and Law Enforcement.
That in-site safety information and this guidebook are important for the very reason that Facebook’s “product” is produced by its users. Parents need to know that, on the social Web, safety is a shared responsibility – a constant negotiation between users (for example, all the friends in a photo being shared with other friends on the site), between users and the site, and between teen users and their parents.
As parents, you can help them understand:
- How important it is for their own online well-being to be mindful of what they say, share, and upload (as well as send on mobile phones)
- How smart it is to present themselves in a positive light online
- How much better their online experiences will be if they stay on good terms with others in their online as well as offline communities.
Go here to download the guide.
Facebook’s Family Safety Center may also interest you!
Learn how to secure your Facebook account. You can also download the Official Facebook Security Guide.
- These tricks can make Internet work faster on your smartphone
- These are the most loved mobile phones of all time in the world
- These apps can help you make money through your smartphone
- These are the most followed people on the Instagram
- These are the most followed people on Twitter
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- This is what happens on the Internet in one minute
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android