There are many instant messaging clients available for Mac but most of them are not compatible with multiple IM services. Adium is one open-source program that solves this problem. The fast and highly customizable instant messaging client connects to AIM, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo!, Google Talk and other IM services and allows users to engage in multiple conversations.
It has a neat and clean interface that accomodates multiple chats under one window. Plus, an active community that generates all sorts of extras like icons, sounds, plugins or applescripts for clients.
Read: How to unblock a blocked friend from Facebook Restricted List
How to start with Adium
- Download the latest version of Adium and install it by dragging its icon to the Applications folder.
- Once done, you will be greeted by welcome note. Its assistant will help you set up your instant messaging accounts and begin chatting.
- Then, you will be prompted to choose a service, name and password for chatting with your friends. If you would like to add more services to Adium you could add more accounts in the ‘Accounts’ pane of the ‘Adium’ preferences.
- After that, Adium will present you with its useful extras and request you to use them if at all you would like to.
- Finally, you will notice a list of your contacts available to chat online if you are already using a pre-existing username. If you have just created a new account you will see an empty list.
- Adding friends to the contact list is simple and fairly quick. All you have to do is click on the ‘Contact’ menu and then choose ‘Add Contact’ option. The action would bring up a new ‘Add Contact’ window wherein you could add contacts.
- If the recently added contact is online you could start chatting right away.
Sadly, Adium does not offer voice or video chat but allows adding other extensions to improve its overall functionality. Currently, it supports more than 25 languages and can be downloaded from here.
Read: Rapportive: Gmail Plug-in that gets all your contact details in your Inbox
- 10 Best Online Photo Sharing Websites
- Best Video Players for Android devices in 2019
- Best Loan apps for Android
- Best Photo Editing Apps for Android
- Best Video Editor Apps for iPhone
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- Best Android Launchers
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android