Apple’s success party after winning the grand trial against Samsung was cut short after 1 million Apple UDIDs (Universal Device IDs) were released to the public by hackers in a shocking move today. Not just that but Notification center tokens, device names and device IDs are also included in the bag of data released which can be used to track back the owner, the address, cellphone numbers and other relevant information.
These 1 million UDIDs form a small part of the 12 million ones which were hacked from a laptop owned by the FBI in March 2012. Antisec is the group behind the capture of these 12 million UDIDs as well as the release of 1 million UDIDs to the general public.
To add more to the worry of Apple device owners is the fact that one just cannot simply change the UDID as we usually do in case of a cracked password. There’s nothing much that device owners can do at the moment than check if their UDID is in the released list. Head over to these links from PasteBin, download the text file [90 MB] and run a simple search for your UDID. If your UDID isn’t in the text file, it’s not yet a positive sign yet as your UDID may be in the 12 million list.
According to LifeHacker, here is how to find the UDID of your device:
- Plug your device into your computer.
- Launch iTunes and select your device in the sidebar.
- Where you see your device’s name, capacity, software version, and serial number, click on the serial number. This will toggle the display of your device’s UDID.
The presence of UDIDs on an FBI-system has definitely raised many eyebrows. With 1 million of them within public access and no surety of the way in which they can be ‘exploited’ by malicious parties, it’s high time Apple device owners start taking their personal security a bit seriously. Also high time Apple does something constructive about this leak of personal information and about the security of its consumers on a general scale.
- These tricks can make Internet work faster on your smartphone
- These are the most loved mobile phones of all time in the world
- These apps can help you make money through your smartphone
- These are the most followed people on the Instagram
- These are the most followed people on Twitter
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- This is what happens on the Internet in one minute
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android