HP, with their new Envy 14, is all set to compete with new Apple MacBook Pro. This updated Envy 14 is almost similar in appearance to its previous version but has gained new muscles in terms of Second Generation Core i5 Processor, power management facility and switchable graphics. We at The Geeks Club try to find out pros and cons of this new portable to help our reader make their call.
Technical Specifications of HP Envy 14
- Processor: 2.4 GHz Second Generation Intel® Core i5- 2410m processor
- Operating System: Windows®7 Home Premium (64-bit)
- Display: 14.5” HP BrightView HD LED display
- Graphics: AMD Radeon 6630m, Intel HD Graphics
- Memory: 6 GB DDR3 RAM clocked at 1333 MHz
- Storage: 500 GB Hard Drive
- Multimedia: High End Beats Audio, HP TrueVision Webcam
- Communication: 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- I/O Ports: 3 USB (1 shared with eSATA), HDMI, Mini display, RJ-45
- Input Devices: Optical Drive, Full size keyboard, Touchpad (4.25 x 2.6)
- Security: Microsoft Security Essentials included
- Power: 90 W AC with 5 hours of battery life
- Design: Aluminum Chassis
- Dimensions: 14 x 9.3 x 1.16
- Weight: 5.6 pounds
Catchy Design with Smooth Touchpad and Comfy Keyboard
As mentioned earlier, new HP Envy 14 is similar in appearance to its previous version. Grey colored aluminum lead features intricate prototype of curved feather-shaped figures that resembles to pine cone design. This helps Envy 14 to stand distinguish from its contemporary portables like MacBook Pro.
Envy 14 features black colored keyboard with widely spaced keys. Keys are flat than usual, which provides additional comfort while typing. HP designers have made slight changes with position of touchpad that can irritate touch typists to some extent. As keyboard is backlit, one can type in low light without facing any difficulties.
Touchpad of Envy 14 is more touch-friendly, thanks to the updated software. It supports functions like three or four fingers brushing for performing dedicated tasks. Three fingers click launches preset application that can be changed from Control Panel. Four fingers flick launches Windows Aero Task Switcher. Scrolling using two fingers is bit irksome in Google Chrome but works best with IE.
Beats Audio and Radiant Display
Since HP has started shipping their products with Beats Audio, many renowned brands in the market have failed to match HP’s audio quality. In case of Envy 14, this audio quality mixes up with Radiant display to provide best ever experience to HP users. 14.5” LED display offers vibrant colors for improved video experience. Black glossy border adds to the experience.
The Performer but With Poor Battery Life
With second generation processor and massive 6GB of RAM, Envy 14 is undoubtedly the performer. Notebook performs much better than average ratings offered by its other brands in its category. HP Envy 14 is capable of booting Windows 7 (64-bit) in mere 49 seconds, better than average booting time offered by notebooks from this category.
Envy 14 has something to offer hardcore gamers, thanks to its switchable graphics. Notebook features AMD Radeon and Intel HD GPU that help enhance performance during gaming. However, switching is based on applications that system run and user has to assign performance to each application manually, unlike that of Nvidia’s technology.
The only noticeable con of the device is its battery life. Despite featuring 8-cell battery, notebook can run continuously for almost 5 hours, which is significantly less if notebook’s performance is considered.
HP Envy 14 is available for $999 with basic configuration that features 500 GB hard drive, second generation processor, 6 GB RAM and switchable graphics. The version with $1,079 price tag has 750GB hard drive installed in it. HP recommends $1, 329 version of Envy 14 that houses Core i7 processor, 8 GB RAM and 640 GB hard drive.
HP Envy is one of the best performers from its category. With its Beats Audio and radiant display, notebook is best for home users. Power and heat maintenance adds to the functionality of portable. If you are ready to spend $999, then you must think of giving HP Envy 14 a shot!
- These tricks can make Internet work faster on your smartphone
- These are the most loved mobile phones of all time in the world
- These apps can help you make money through your smartphone
- These are the most followed people on the Instagram
- These are the most followed people on Twitter
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- This is what happens on the Internet in one minute
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android