If you have budget constraints and are looking for a laptop which will deliver value for every dime you spend, the HP Pavilion dm1-4010us might just be the one you are looking for. The HP Pavilion dm1-4010us would not offer you the jazzy features and a turbo-charged performance of a premium laptop. However, with a value proposition which offers an excellent battery life, decent design, improved keyboard and touchpad, easy portability and a decent hard drive speed, it still is a good option among its peers. Very importantly, it is reasonably priced. However, you might also want to consider that it is not a significantly improved version, compared to its dm1 series predecessors and has a few drawbacks. But the perfect laptop is a myth, isn’t it? This is our HP Pavilion dm1 4010us Notebook PC Review.
HP Pavilion dm1 4010us Notebook PC Review
As a summary, here are the Pros and Cons of HP Pavilion dm1 4010us Notebook PC.
- Above average battery life.
- Easy portability.
- Reasonably priced.
- Improved design and color.
- Improved keyboard and touchpad.
- Nice temperature control abilities.
- No significant improvement, compared to earlier dm1 series laptops.
- No USB 3.0 ports.
- Audio capabilities pretty much average.
HP Pavilion dm1-4010us Technical Specifications
- The AMD Dual-Core E-450 Accelerated Processor helps keep the laptop cool even after you have worked on it for long hours.
- The temperature at the bottom of the notebook barely touched the 90 degrees Fahrenheit range after it was used for 30 minutes.
- The 320GB 7200RPM hard drive has slightly improved the performance, compared to its dm1 series predecessors. For example, you can load applications like Microsoft Word or Adobe Photoshop pretty quickly. However, do not expect the same speed as the SSDs or the Seagate Momentus XT.
- It has an LED-backlit display with 11.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView. This will enable you to comfortably browse the web and watch 720p HD movies.
- The downside is that the display quality is impacted when the screen is exposed to direct sunlight.
- As far as ports and features go, the HP Pavilion dm1-4010us does not come with any extra feature, compared to the earlier dm1 series laptops. It has three USB 2.0 ports — VGA, Gigabit LAN and HDMI-out.
- The SDHC Card slot enables you to both load images and videos from your camera and expandable storage capabilities. A big downside is the absence of a Super Speed 3.0 USB port.
- It offers Beat Audio, which, though HP claims to give “high-quality entertainment on the go” in its website, does not exactly live up to the hype. The audio quality, though good, does not distinguish itself from that of the other laptops.
- The HP Pavilion dm1-4010us comes with genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system.
- Relatively superior handling of programs which occupy a lot of memory space, better content search, audio and video and wireless network management capabilities.
What is really good about HP Pavilion dm1-4010us
An above-average battery life is its distinctive feature. According to NotebookReview.com, the HP Pavilion dm1-4010us operated continuously for 6 hours and 47 minutes, when tested under certain conditions (for example, 70% of screen brightness and regular refreshing of a website). So under less demanding conditions, the battery will last longer.
You can easily carry it anywhere. At 3.53 pounds, it is lighter than most of the other laptops. It is less demanding with space requirements and you can place it comfortably even on the backside tray of an aircraft seat. It keeps its cool even after running for long hours. Given the price tag, it is a good value and utility proposition.
HP Pavilion dm1-4010us Price
The HP Pavilion dm1-4010us is priced at $479.99.
Simply put, the HP Pavilion dm1-4010us is for the budget-conscious. It is also suitable if you have to use the laptop without an access to power for a long time. The features are not exactly mind-boggling but if you think about utility and nothing else, it is a good buy.
Did you find the HP Pavilion dm1 4010us Notebook PC Review useful? What other notebooks do you think competes with it? Let us know in the comments.