Sitemaps is a technology which is used by webmasters to inform Search engines about pages on their site which might not be discovered by the bots itself. In its simplest terms, an XML Sitemap—usually called Sitemap, is a list of the pages on your website.
Creating and submitting a Sitemap helps make sure that Google, Bing or Yahoo! knows about all the pages on your site, including URLs that may not be discoverable by the normal crawling process of search engines. Sitemap submission is considered as the most essential part of SEO.
You can create a Sitemap based on the Sitemap protocol, or you can submit a text file or RSS/Atom feed as a Sitemap.
Also, you can also use Sitemaps to provide Google with metadata about specific types of content on your site, including video, images, mobile, News, software source code, and geographical (KML). For example, a video Sitemap entry can specify the running time, category, and family-friendly status of a video; an image Sitemap entry can provide information about an image’s subject matter, type, and license.
You can also use a Sitemap to provide additional information about your site, such as the date it was last updated, and how often you expect the page to change. We recommend that you use a separate Sitemap to submit News information.
Sitemaps are particularly helpful if:
- Your site has dynamic content.
- Your site has pages that aren’t easily discovered by Googlebot during the crawl process—for example, pages featuring rich AJAX or images.
- Your site is new and has few links to it. (Googlebot crawls the web by following links from one page to another, so if your site isn’t well linked, it may be hard for us to discover it.)
- Your website has a large archive of content pages that are not well linked to each other or are not linked at all.
Google adheres to Sitemap Protocol 0.9 as defined by sitemaps.org. Sitemaps created for Google using Sitemap Protocol 0.9 are therefore compatible with other search engines that adopt the standards of sitemaps.org.
If you own a WordPress based blog, then you might consider using an automatic Sitemap generator plugin such as Google XML Sitemaps, Simple Google Sitemap XML or to help you out!
WordPress can create Sitemaps efficiently using the automatic Sitemap generator plugins which are available for free on the WordPress Plugin directory.
To know how to create Sitemaps, Click here!
- 10 Best Online Photo Sharing Websites
- Best Video Players for Android devices in 2019
- Best Loan apps for Android
- Best Photo Editing Apps for Android
- Best Video Editor Apps for iPhone
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- Best Android Launchers
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android