Twitter is gaining popularity amongst users who wish to communicate in a fast, simple, secure and effective way. Many even consider Twitter to have an edge over Facebook. Let’s find out a few interesting facts about Twitter:
1. Twitter was founded in 2006 and for the first three years as a company, it made a total of ‘zero’ dollar in revenue.
2. Twitter was formed out of a brainstorming session held by board members of the podcasting company Odeo. While sitting in a park on a children’s slide and eating Mexican food, Jack Dorsey introduced the idea of an individual using an SMS service to communicate with a small group. As the idea conceived, Twitter was never meant to be used as a web portal over the internet.
3. Twitter handles 24 billion search queries a month while Yahoo handles 9.4 billion search queries and Bing handles about 4.1 billion search queries. Thus, Twitter is just below Google in the ranking as Google handles more than 88 billion search queries a month.
4. More than 1 million Twitter accounts are opened every day and eleven new accounts are created every second.
5. Twitter has more than 500 million users of whom 140 million are active ones. More than 340 million tweets are sent out per day.
6. An overwhelming majority of users (64%) access Twitter through the web (twitter.com) while 16% of them access Twitter through their mobile applications and the remaining 10% use Twitter clients like TweetDeck, Seesmic, MetroTwit etc.
7. On February 16 2012, Twitter admitted to copying user’s address books from smartphones and storing the information on its servers for as long as 10 months.
8. Twitter prohibits the use of common words as a password for security purposes. There are 370 words that are prohibited at the moment, like “123456”, “password”, “password1”, “porsche”, “ferrari”, “chelsea”, “arsenal”, etc.
9. If Twitter was to be printed onn paper, it would weigh around 4 million pounds (1,814,369 kilograms).
10. More than 21% of Twitter accounts are blank with no posts at all.
You got any to add?