You can create your own Bootable USB or DVD for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Currently the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is only available to download for Mac App Store.
However, one can create a bootable Mac OS X 10.7 Lion USB flash drives and install them successfully by having some moderate knowledge about Mac.
This will help you to recover and reinstall the operating system in case a system crashes or if there is any other event of misfortune.
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion downloaded from the Mac App Store
- 4GB or bigger USB Flash drive
Get familiar with the following steps and install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion successfully.
- Look for the Lion Install ESD.dmg file– Once downloading of the Lion OS is complete, navigate the cursor to the Applications folder and search for the Install Mac OS Lion.app.
Right click on this file and choose ‘show Package Contents’ which will direct you to the ‘Shared Support’ directory.
Under this directory you will find Installed ESD.dmg file. Copy this file on your Mac book desktop.
If you do not find this file you will have to download it again. To do this, go to the Mac App Store where you will find Option key, click on it and keep it pressed and select the Purchased key at the same time.
At this point, you will be enabled with the Install option (not Installed). Click on the option to download the file once again and save the copy of the installer.
- Plug the USB Flash drive into your Mac book – Select the just-plugged-in USB from the Disk Utility and click on the Partition tab.
Now choose 1Partition from the drop down menu below the Partition layout option, assign a suitable name to the USB and select Mac OS extended for the Format option.
Click on the Options button and select the GUID Partition Table. Click on Ok and Tap the Apply button now to begin formatting.
- Restore the Lion 10.7 image to the USB Flash drive – Double click on the Install ESD.dmg file that you had copied on your Macbook desktop and go to the Restore tab after choosing plugged-in USB flash drive from the Disk Utility option.
Copy-paste or drag Mac OS X installed EXD under the InsallEMD.dmg option to the Source field (replace DVD in the picture with EXD).
Copy-paste or drag the USB flash drive to the Destination field. If all goes well, Mac Lion OS X 10.7 will be restored in your USB flash drive.
You are now ready to install the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion from the USB flash drive to a new Macbook.