When it comes to durability and lightness, Panasonic’s Toughbook line gets all the points. Recent entry to this line is Toughbook S9. Not surprisingly, it weighs 3 pounds which is close to Panny’s earlier Toughbook C1 with 3.2 pounds. Along with optical drive, Toughbook S9 is the lightest 12-inch notebook. Drops are very much integral part of using notebooks, but Toughbook S9 can be a relief as it is more durable than other available options. Going in details, its lid can stand pressure of about 220 pounds. However, what this weightless device actually contains is more interesting.
Technical Specification of Panasonic Toughbook S9
- Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel® Core i5-520M
- Operating System: Windows® 7 Professional (32-bit)
- Display: 12.1” TFT active matrix LED Backlit anti-glare display
- Graphics: Intel® GMA HD
- Memory: 2 GB DDR3 RAM (can be upgraded to 6GB)
- Storage: 320 GB SATA Hard Drive clocked at 5,400 rpm
- Multimedia: Single Audio Speaker,
- Communication: 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
- I/O Ports: 3 USB 2.0 ports, SD memory reader, HDMI, Display port, modem port-4 pin
- Input Devices: Full size keyboard, 1.75 inch touchpad
- Optical Devices: DVD SuperMultiDrive
- Power: AC 120/320 V
- Design: Rugged, Ultraportable
- Dimensions: 11.1 x 8.3 x 0.9
- Weight: 3 pounds
Striking Aspects of Toughbook S9
First sight of Toughbook S9 is enough to suggest its outstanding features. Device is pretty convenient for transportation. Chassis is made up of magnesium alloy for the purpose of robustness. Black and silver lid compliments metallic-silver body of laptop. Panasonic’s unique circular touchpad is surely present along with flip-up DVD burner on right side. Only 2-inch thickness can be a point to criticize, but it can be easily overlooked by judging its other features.
We have already talked about its sturdiness, but still not missing any points, each part of Toughbook S9 is designed by keeping its durability in mind. For shock absorption, hard drive and LCD of laptop are protected with flexible connectors and rubber pads. As we said before, lid can handle direct pressure and magnesium body can take few nasty drops, such as drop from 1 foot while turned off and from 2.5 feet while operating. Moreover, keyboards can take care of spills.
Compact Keyboard and Circular Touchpad
Keyboard is adjusted in less than half space of desk. This adjustment gives plenty of space for Toughbook S9’s unique DVD burner. Due to compactness, keys are small and close to each other, so users have to get used to this pattern. On the other hand, keys offer pleasant soft click with no flex. Overall, keyboard is quite adequate.
Circular touchpad is Panasonic’s trademark and it gives us a break from typical rectangular ones. Response of touchpad is commendable. Although multitouch facility is not provided, circular scrolling is noteworthy. It is easy to scroll through web pages and documents. Provided mouse buttons are small but simple and easy to press.
Presence of Typical Ports except Webcam
Left side of Toughbook S9 is crowded with a power jack, USB port, and HDMI, Ethernet and modem port. PC Card slot, SDXC Card slot and VGA monitor adapter are placed on right side. Besides, front side contains pop-up DVD SuperMulti Drive along with wireless toggle, power switch, and mic and headphone jacks. Due to absence of webcam, facility of video conferencing is obviously not available.
Lastly, Panasonic’s Toughbook S9 is certainly charming with its unique features and stylish looks. The Pro’s are so good that the Con’s can be easily ignored. However, the costing of laptop can be an aspect to think. It can surely handle drops, but it will easily cause a healthy drop in your bank balance with price of $2,499. Frankly speaking, cost is worth the device – if you can afford it!
- 10 Best Online Photo Sharing Websites
- Best Video Players for Android devices in 2019
- Best Loan apps for Android
- Best Photo Editing Apps for Android
- Best Video Editor Apps for iPhone
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- Best Android Launchers
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android