There’s discussion on the web about Samsung’s new flagship smartphone – Samsung Galaxy S4. While most of the speculations about the phone’s features, specs and appearance have materialized, speculations about the price are still running rampant.
Here’s what we have with us till now, post launch event held on March 14, New York. The polycarbonate chasis is still in use i.e. the body of Galaxy S4 is built of polycarbonate material.
The polycarbonate unit is available in 2 versions: Black Mist and White Frost. Although thinner and lighter, S4 remains faster than its predecessor – S3. Some notable Samsung Galaxy S4 specs include a new 5-inch full HD screen, boasting 441ppi; a 13MP rear-facing camera; a powerful new 1.9 GHz Quad-Core Processor / 1.6 GHz Octa-Core Processor and more.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Specs
Specifications remain pretty standard but resolution has increased from 720×1280 up to a Full HD 1080×1920. This raises the pixel density significantly from 306ppi to 441ppi. Plus, the screen size is now 5-inch. It was 4.8-inch in S3.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has two cameras: a 13-megapixel snapper (Auto-focus, LED Flash) on the back and a 2-megapixel camera at its front. The 13 megapixel snapper lets you capture photos and shoot videos in HD while the 2 MP rear camera finds use for video chatting. Moreover, it includes an eye tracking software to support Smart Pause feature.
Samsung used its own Exynos 4 Quad processor for the Galaxy S3, a quad-core chip. It clocked at 1.4GHz and was based on the ARM Cortex-A9 architecture. The same has been upgraded in S4. Samsung Galaxy S4 boasts Exynos 5 Octa processor which if you remember, Samsung had announced at CES. Octa means 8 so yes, S4 will be the first Samsung Smartphone to boast an 8-core chip. It will consist of four Cortex-A15 cores clocked at 1.6GHz for performance while the remaining four are Cortex-A7s clocked at 1.2GHz.
RAM and Storage
With Samsung Galaxy S4, you also get 2GB of RAM, twice the amount in the iPhone 5. The RAM has been doubled from 1GB to 2GB. In terms of storage, the smartphone is available in 16, 32 and 64GB variants.
It’s the latest and greatest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, and on top of that is, you’ve guessed it, Samsung’s own TouchWiz UI. The touchWiz interface as you know lets you control your device with touch and gesture. Plus, it boasts many nifty features like,
- Smart Scroll – A software designed to monitor your eyes for movement and scroll through text accordingly. The feature uses the device’s internal motion sensors that le you scroll when you tilt the phone.
- Smart Pause – Pauses a video you are watching when you look away or take your eyes off the screen. How does it do that? Simple, the features uses eye tracking software via the front-facing camera.
- S Translator and drama-shot – It’s a translator service that lets you easily translate between languages. Drama Shot on the other hand, is a nifty camera feature which lets you capture numerous photos in rapid succession and superimpose them, to create a composite motion image.
- Group Play – Group Play has been optimized for playing games. It uses NFC to handshake between devices. Then, using Wi-Fi Direct, the handsets can play games and music together. Big-wigs such as Gameloft and Glu have already optimized games for this service.
- Air View – An interesting feature that changes the way you interact with your phone. Rather touching S4’s screen directly, the feature reacts when you hover your finger just above the screen, ideal for performing tasks like previewing videos, accessing speed dial favourites or magnifying content.
- Air Gesture – Takes the Air theme a step further. The feature lets you perform tasks just with gestures. Air Gestures mean you’ll be able to jump to the top of lists, skip music and flick through pictures/answer calls without even touching the screen.
- S Voice Drive – It’s for the driver who loves multitasking. The feature is capable of reading incoming text messages aloud when you are driving and allow you dictate text messages. You can even use its navigation features with your voice so you don’t have to take your eyes off the road.
Samsung Galaxy S4 includes full 4G LTE networks support (download speeds of 100Mbit/s and uploads of 50Mbit/s). Full 3G and 2.5G support is also present. For use at home there’s also better Wi-Fi support, with the new 802.11ac standard supported.
Near Field Communicaion (NFC) support
The Galaxy Smartphone supports NFC too. So the phone should be compatible with Google Wallet. This means you can pay for your shopping in compatible shops using just your phone. Other area where the technology can be employed – Group Play. By tapping your Samsung Galaxy S4 to another one, you can share music and pictures.
Other Specifications include,
- Li-Ion 2600 mAh battery
- Body dimensions – 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm (5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 in)
- Weight 130 g (4.59 oz)
- Display Type – Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Protection – Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Sensors – Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, temperature, humidity
- Browser – HTML5, Adobe Flash
- GPS – Yes, with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- Document viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)
Samsung Galaxy S4 Pricing and Availability
Samsung hasn’t revealed the official pricing for Galaxy S4 yet, but has assured that it will cost around same as that of any previous flagship Samsung smartphone. The company may even lower its price in order to compete. As per as per GSMArena, Samsung Galaxy S4 will be available in the US for approximately $579. The website has also mentioned the European pricing for the Samsung Galaxy S4. Its 650 Euros!
To be honest, I haven’t had the chance to test the power machine yet. Regarding availability, Galaxy S4 will be launching on 327 carriers in 155 countries, starting at the end of April 2013, most probably April 26th.
How do you think it compares to Nokia Lumia 920?
- 10 Best Online Photo Sharing Websites
- Best Video Players for Android devices in 2019
- Best Loan apps for Android
- Best Photo Editing Apps for Android
- Best Video Editor Apps for iPhone
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- Best Android Launchers
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android