A Smartphone is a mobile phone that does the work of a personal digital assistant and also as a mobile phone. The devices today have high resolution cameras, GPS navigation, Wi-Fi facility, and enhanced and powerful web browsers to access the web wherever you are. They also have their own efficient operating system installed in them like Google Android, Apple iOS, Nokia Symbian and so on. Important fact to remember is that these smart devices also contain your personal data and sensitive information stored with them.
- Around 10% of Smartphone users have come across some or the other kind of security issues on their phones.
- $400 million was spent by people last year for buying mobile security applications which is expected to go high over the years to come.
- 66% of Smartphone users store sensitive personal information on their devices.
- Many of the hackers are still searching for “how to crack information from Smartphones?” right through popular search engines for some years, which again is growing rapidly.
- Sales of various books have increased which have been written on topics by the forensic industry people who also recommend some tools to get the information from mobile phones, especially Smartphones.
The NPD Group’s “Emerging Technology Trends: Mobile Security” report
- Despite Significant Security Concerns, Few Smartphone Owners Have Actually Done Anything About It.
- Only 6 percent of iPhone users have installed security software on their devices.
- While Smartphone owners are worried about security threats, they are also thoroughly confused about what to do about them.
- 83 percent of all Smartphone owners who have not installed security
- More than 25 percent of Smartphone owners (and 35 percent of iPhone owners) don’t know how to acquire security software for their devices.
- Among those owners with security products installed, 75 percent paid nothing, and the mean price paid was less than $3.
Top Smartphone Vulnerabilities
- There are some software out in the market now, using which one can easily extract data and personal information from a Smartphone without even having to know the smart password. They can be connected to a computer or laptop to get the software running.
- Android from Google is the most used Smartphone platform. But it doesn’t encourage full disk encryption, although there are some third party applications available in the market.
- Windows 7 Smartphone from Microsoft supports robust encryption for data. But still the older version, Windows Mobile assisted in on device exchange email encryption, which Windows 7 Smartphone doesn’t encourage now.
How to Avoid Security Threats?
To keep your Smartphone away from such dangerous and treacherous activities, you have to make sure that your Smartphone has the provision to execute full disk encryption. When full disk encryption is put into operation, all the user data and personal information will be encrypted while the phone is given rest. Some examples of applications that support full disk encryption are RedPhone [Voice Calls], Cypher [Text Messages] and NitroDesk TouchDown [Emails].
- Always use a PIN to access your Smartphone’s home screen. This will not allow a third person to access your personal information even if your phone is lost.
- Ensure that you keep your Smartphone’s operating system up to date. Be sure to run the latest version of the operating system which reduces the security threats to certain extent with new patches applied.
- Download only apps from official application stores. Before downloading one, read the reviews written by the users.
- Always remember to turn off Wi-Fi if you are not using it for the moment. Most hackers use it to hack information from your Smartphone. And also use only encrypted Wi-Fi which needs a password.
- Sometimes there might be no other go, other than deleting all the information from your Smartphone’s memory to remove that particular threatening virus. So, back up your memory at regular intervals.
So are you also waiting for your Smartphone to be hacked?
- 10 Best Online Photo Sharing Websites
- Best Video Players for Android devices in 2019
- Best Loan apps for Android
- Best Photo Editing Apps for Android
- Best Video Editor Apps for iPhone
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- Best Android Launchers
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android