Apple recently updated its operating system iOS 4 to iOS 5. The new operating system boasts loads of features. Plus, it offers some room for jailbreaking. So if you are still running iOS 4, it’s time for you to shift to new iOS 5. And if you are already on iOS 5 and interested in jailbreaking your iDevice, then you have just come to the right place.
This post explains you how to jailbreak your iPhone and iPod running on iOS 5.0.1. It is very important that your device should be running iOS 5.0.1. So if you are on iOS 5.0 then please try and upgrade your device to iOS 5.0.1. Why? Because even though the jailbreak does work on iOS 5.0, it has a much higher success rate when you are on iOS 5.0.1.
However, if you have upgraded your device to 5.1.0 then I am afraid you will have to wait for some more time as Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5.1.0. is still not available.
Please note that if you have not yet updated your iDevice and still running iOS version lower than or equal to 5.0, then please do not update your device directly using the standard method. Doing so will directly update your device to iOS 5.1.0. So in order to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 you can search for an external source from where you can get the IPSW file for iOS 5.0.1. Using it you can update your device to iOS 5.0.1 instead of iOS 5.1.0.
In this post, I will be covering 2 methods of Jailbreaking your iDevice. The first method will be a fresh installation for users running iOS 5.0.1 on their iPhone, iPod and iPad but the device is not jailbroken in any way.
The second method will be useful for those users who have iOS 5.0.1 on their devices and are currently using the ‘Tethered’ jailbreak version. Please note that this post and both its methods are applicable only for iPhone 4, iPod 4G, iPad 1 and all the previous versions of these devices only.
If you have an iPhone 4S or an iPad 2, then please check out this post because the redsn0w method does not work on Apple Devices that have the new A5 Chip. It does not matter which version of iOS your device is running on, if it has an A5 Chip then please DO NOT use this method.
So let us take a look at pre-requisites for starting this process. First of all you need to have an iPhone or an iPod running iOS 5.0.1. You can check the iOS version of your device by going to SYSTEM -> GENERAL -> ABOUT -> VERSION. Next you will need a computer running either Windows or Mac. You will need a tool/software named ‘redsn0w’ in order to jailbreak your device. You can download the Windows version from here and the Mac version from here.
METHOD 1: Fresh Installation
Assuming that you have everything ready, let’s start the jailbreak process:
1. Please be sure that you have backed up your device using iTunes just in case something goes wrong and you lose your important data.
2. Also make sure that the Passcode Security Lock has been removed. You need to do this only for the jailbreak process. Once you complete this process, you can turn on your Passcode Security.
3. Completely shut down your iDevice and connect it to the computer.
4. Run redsn0w and you will see a window like this:5. Select ‘Jailbreak and Install Cydia’ and you should see a window like this:6. Now make sure that your device is completely turned off and is connected to the computer as well. Just to be on the safer side, please read the instructions that will get displayed on your computer screen.
7. Once you are ready click ‘NEXT’ button and you should see a window like this:
8. Now once you get the above window, you have to pay attention to the instructions that appear on the screen because at this stage you have to start your device in the DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode.
9. When you see the above screen you will be put back to POINT 1, by default. Immediately hold down and keep holding the POWER button, present at the TOP-RIGHT CORNER of your device.
10. As the instructions highlighter moves from POINT 1 to POINT 2, without releasing the POWER button, hold down and keep holding the HOME button also.
11. Now when the instructions highlighter moves from POINT 2 to POINT 3, you only have to release the POWER button that you were holding down. Remember that you should still be holding down the HOME button.
12. If you complete the process correctly, the jailbreak process should start on your iDevice. Just follow the onscreen instructions and your iDevice will then restart with the Untethered Jailbreak applied to it.
13. When your device is restarted, you should be able to see CYDIA on your home screen. This will confirm that your device has been successfully jailbroken.
METHOD 2: From Tethered to Untethered
This method is quite simple and short as compared to the fresh installation. This method should be used if you already have a Tethered Jailbreak on your device. So if you have an A4 device that was already jailbroken using redsn0w, ac1dsn0w or sn0wbreeze and has a Tethered Jailbreak, only then follow these steps to get an Untethered Jailbreak.
Remember that this method is also applicable for Tethered Jailbreak of iOS 5.0.1 only. Tethered Jailbreak means that if your shut down your device; you will need an external source like a computer to turn it back on. Now this is very irritating, so follow these steps and get rid of the problem for good:
1. Launch Cydia from your Springboard.
2. Search for a package named ‘Corona’.
3. If done correctly, you should see this window on your device:
4. Tap on the Install button in the Top-Right corner and then tap Continue on the screen that follows.
5. This will install Corona onto your iDevice.
6. Once you install this package, your device will no longer need an external source in order to restart your device.
Now finally after you have successfully implemented an Untethered Jailbreak on your iDevice, you have opened the doors to infinite possibilities. You have unleashed the true power of your iDevices. You are now ready to try out all the different tweaks and tools that enhance the functionality and usability of your device. Be sure to check out the following tweaks and tools for sure:
3. GPower Pro
4. Brightness Switcher
And if you really want to customize your device to the max, then there is a perfect post for you. Check it out here.
- 10 Best Online Photo Sharing Websites
- Best Video Players for Android devices in 2019
- Best Loan apps for Android
- Best Photo Editing Apps for Android
- Best Video Editor Apps for iPhone
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- Best Android Launchers
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android