WhatsApp backup in Android is stored at two places. First in local storage, and second is in Google drive. Whenever you backup WhatsApp chat manually, it first creates a local backup and then uploads it to Google Drive. In this guide, we will share how you can delete WhatsApp backup both in Android Phone and Google Drive
How to Delete WhatsApp Backup in Android Phone and Google Drive
The local backup which WhatsApp creates is useful when you have removed WhatsApp from the phone, and reinstall with the same number. It can detect the local backup, and if the name is the same, it will prompt you to restore from local backup first. However, this can also be dangerous if somebody gets a hold on to that files, especially if it has personal audio and images.
Delete WhatsApp Backup in Android Phone
Do note that all chat history is available at this path–.
/sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases/ While they nobody can open it outside WhatsApp, it is best to delete them manually using file manager.
- Launch your File Manager, and navigate to the folder path shown above.
- Tap the WhatsApp folder, a list of all WhatsApp sub-folders will appear.
- Tap and hold the Databases file.
- Select Delete.
Delete WhatsApp Backup in Google Drive
Online backups are always helpful, especially when you are switching phones. However, these online backups of WhatsApp are not encrypted. If anybody gets their hands on the reserve, they can decrypt it, and all your personal messages will become available to anyone.
Even when you chats and images from WhatsApp, they might be available in the backup. So if there is something which is very sensitive, and you want all records to be gone, it is best to delete them online.
- Open Google Drive, and navigate to Backup. It holds all your phone backups and WhatsApp backup.
- Look for WhatsApp backup file which should be available under a name like “WhatsApp XXXXXXXX backup.” Here, X is the phone number.
- Double tap and it will offer you options to turn off backup or delete the backup.
- Choose to delete.
Once you delete the online backup and delete all sensitive information from WhatsApp, take a fresh backup. It will overwrite the older backup. Use manual backup for security.
Do you Delete WhatsApp backup from time to time? If yes do share why you do it.