Rooting enables the smartphones to unleash the limits set by the OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) which prevents you from running apps and system tools with extra permissions. Many manufacturers make it easier to unlock the bootloader and root smartphones. Fortunately, the Chinese manufacturer OnePlus allows the users to modify the entire system, for the sake of developer support. Here is how to root OnePlus 6 and flash custom ROM, the latest device from the company.
How to root OnePlus 6 and Flash Custom ROM
Rooting OnePlus 6 is an easy-to-do task. After rooting, you can get many privileges on the smartphone usage. Also, it would be possible to boost the performance by overclocking or overriding the system restrictions. Before going with the method steps, make sure you meet the requirements to root your OnePlus 6.
Prerequisites to Root OnePlus 6
There are certain things you need to collect and ensure the availability, apart from the OnePlus 6 smartphone and a PC.
- Install ADB and fastboot on your system. If you do not get the right item, you can search for Minimal ADB Fastboot tools that weight less than 10MB. Instead, you can use the official Android SDK for the ADB-Fastboot command execution.
- Download and extract the complete OnePlus 6 root package file to the ADB/Fastboot folder. Following files will be present.
Unlock the Bootloader of OnePlus 6
The system Bootloader needs to be unlocked to modify the system. It is required in order to flash the TWRP Custom Recovery, so the bootloader unlocking is necessary.
- From your smartphone, go to Settings > About Device > Tap on “Build number” 7 times to unlock the Developer Mode.
- Go back to the settings menu and choose Developer Options.
- Scroll do and toggle on the OEM Unlocking.
- Also, enable the USB Debugging.
- Now connect your OnePlus 6 smartphone to the PC using a USB cable.
- Open the command prompt window on ADB/Fastboot folder.
- Then you have to enter the fastboot mode on your smartphone. Enter the following command to go to fast-booting/flashing window.
adb reboot bootloader
- If the smartphone asks you for ADB permission, tap on “Allow” to begin the process.
- From the bootloader window, enter the following command in ADB window,
fastboot oem unlock
Your OnePlus 6 smartphone is now a device with the unlocked bootloader.
Flash custom Recovery and Root on OnePlus 6
- From the Fastboot mode, enter the following commands that will flash the recovery to the smartphone. This will replace the stock recovery by OnePlus.
fastboot flash boot_a twrp.img fastboot flash boot_b twrp.img
- After finishing the custom recovery flashing, disconnect the smartphone from PC.
- Press and hold Volume Down + Power buttons to enter recovery mode.
- When asked, enter the device password you use.
- Change the language to English by tapping Settings (right one from 3rd row) > Tap on globe icon > English.
- Connect the smartphone to PC and you can see the file system appears on the computer. Copy the following files to the device root folder.
- Flash the patched boot image. TO do this, go to Install > Boot > select op6-boot.img and proceed with the installation.
- Install the two zip files op6-TWRP-Working-Installer.zip and op6-TWRP-Blue-FIX.zip sequentially by tapping Install > Choose files > Swipe to install.
- Now Install the op6-Root.zip using the same method, and this will root your device.
Warning: Make sure you know what Rooting does to your phone. If not done right, and used smartly, it might just make your account and files on your phone vulnerable to any malware. Are you planning to Root OnePlus 6 and Flash Custom ROM