Google released the Android 9.0 P Beta made the availability for many smartphones before the stable version releases. Apart from the Google’s Pixel branded smartphones, other OEMs are on-board to participate in the Android P Beta program with their smartphones under the project Treble. Sony got some room in the Android P Beta testing cycles. The company is participating in it with their latest flagship smartphone Xperia XZ2. In this guide, we will share how to install Android P update on Sony Xperia XZ2.
How to Install Android P update on Sony Xperia XZ2
Unlike the previous times, you do not have to get the current version of the OS off the grid and flash the new ROM from scratch. Google now allows manufacturers to distribute the beta version of Android P over the air or some other connected way. So, you can do it easily without any complicated methods.
Before installation, you need to understand and agree with some of the facts about the Beta version of the Operating System. As the Android 9.0 P has not yet released, only the developer preview version aka Beta is available right now for every smartphone. Even though it carries many features, you would face the bugs as same as the new features. The smartphone might not run in a buttery-smooth way it used to be.
Also, not every model of the Xperia XZ2 is available to test out the beta. Only the smartphones with the build numbers H8216, H8266 or H8296 are eligible to participate in the run. Before proceeding with the installation process, make sure you to backup up every data on your smartphone. Here are the methods to make the complete backup of your smartphone.
- Create a backup using ADB Command: adb backup -apk -shared -all -f C:\Users\NAME\backup.ab.
- Use EaseUS MobiSaver on PC to backup Android smartphone data.
If you have successfully backed up the complete smartphone data, you can proceed with the following installation instructions.
- Install Xperia Companion v2.1 or latest on your PC from here.
- Open the Xperia Companion App on your PC or Mac.
- Now connect your Sony Xperia XZ2 smartphone to the PC using a USB Cable.
- Click on “Software Repair” Option while holding the ALT button on your system keyboard.
- Now, you can see a prompt window. Mark the checkbox along with the text “My device cannot be detected or started.”
- Click “Next.”
- After initialization, follow the further instructions until it finishes. Do not try to disconnect the smartphone in between. Otherwise, it can brick your device.
- Then your Xperia XZ2 will be successfully upgraded to Android P Developer Preview. The future updates will be delivered to you on time as OTA distributions.
How to roll back Xperia XZ2 to Android Oreo
You probably might want to roll back to the older version of the operating system after installation. You must either miss some feature or will encounter some bugs. So, you can follow below steps to get back to the older version of the Operating System.
- Open the Xperia Companion App and connect your Sony Xperia XZ2 smartphone to the PC.
- Click on “software Repair” Option. DO NOT press and hold the ALT button this time.
- Follow the further instructions as in the installation tutorial.
After finishing initialization and setup, you can use your smartphone with the same old software version without any bugs.