Playing games on an iPhone is fun. It includes a number of games that are immersive and can keep you engaged for hours. But if you are a hardcore gamer like me, you must be definitely missing the old school legends like Mario and Contra.
Imagine how wonderful it would be if we could play those legendary games on our iPhone and iPods. Well if you have got your hopes high right now, then I am glad to inform you that ‘This is possible’. I will now show you how you can play NES games like Mario and Contra on your iPhone and iPod. But to do this, you need to have a jailbroken iPhone or iPod.
In order to play NES games on your iDevice you will need to download and install an app named ‘NES’.
What is NES?
‘NES’ is an application that emulates the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) on your iDevice. It allows you to play ‘.nes’ files right on your iDevice. It also allows you to save and load game states.
How to get NES?
- Open CYDIA and go to SOURCES
- Now tap on the EDIT button at the Top Right side of the screen
- Now you should see an ADD button at the Top Left side of the screen
- Tap on the ADD button and enter the link: http://apt.thebigboss.org/repofiles/cydia
- Now tap on ADD SOURCE to add this repo
- Once done you should now see a repo named ‘BigBoss’
- Open this repo and scroll down till you find ‘NES’
- Then tap on the link for NES and you should see a page as shown below:
- Tap on PURCHASE/INSTALL and then tap on CONTINUE in the next window
- Cydia will start downloading and installing NES for you
- Follow the instructions and you will be done.
- Now you should see a new app on your home screen named ‘NES’.
How to play games using NES?
In order to play NES games you will have to download the ‘ROM’ for all the games you want. You can search for these Roms on the Internet and easily find them. Once you have your Roms ready you have to put them into your device.
In order to do this, we will use a software named ‘iExplorer’. I have already written about ‘How to use iExplorer’. You can check out this article here.
So once you have everything ready, follow these steps:
1. Connect your iDevice to the computer.
2. Run the application ‘iExplorer’.
3. You should see the name of your device.
4. Now select the ‘Second View Mode’ so that you can see exactly where you are.
5. Now follow the path shown below:
6. Now you will be able to see the folder named ‘NES’.
7. Simply paste all the ‘.NES ROM’ files into this folder.
8. Once done close iExplorer and unplug your device.
Now you’re ready to play. Open the NES app and you should see your games list. Tap on the game you want and enjoy!!
Check this out; I tested ‘Adventure Island’ myself on this app.
Comments are closed.