The Sony PSP runs on a system software referred to as Firmware. And if you are not a newbie in the world of PSP, then you very well know that when it comes to the PSP, ‘It’s all about the Firmware’. In this guide, we are sharing how you can Update PSP Firmware.
How to Update PSP Firmware?
While we will explain about the details of PSP firmware later in the post, lets first get started with updating it. There are two methods by which you can update.
- Directly update PSP firmware
- Custom way to update PSP Firmware
The first way is possible when PSP is connected to the internet over WiFi, while the indirect approach is when it’s connected through the PC.
Directly update PSP Firmware
- Go to SETTINGS -> SYSTEM UPDATE and press X.
- The device will detect the latest PSP Firmware that it can support.
- Download the latest Firmware Version file.
- The installation should start once you finish downloading the file.
- If it doesn’t, go to GAME -> MEMORY STICK on your PSP and run the firmware update yourself.
- Follow the onscreen instructions, and it will update your PSP.
Custom way to update the PSP firmware
Now, this method is useful for people who prefer to download the Update File using a computer. It is also useful when you want to update to a particular version, but not the latest version.
Many a time, for example, when you are on Version 6.00, and you prefer to update to Version 6.20 or 6.35 instead of the latest 6.60. So follow these steps to custom firmware update your PSP. The only trick is to figure out the previous version from the internet. Make sure you download it from a trusted website if it’s not available on the official website.
- Once you download the file, rename it to EBOOT.PBP if it does not already have that name.
- Connect your PSP to the computer and open your PSP Memory Stick.
- Go to PSP -> GAME and make a folder named UPDATE and paste the EBOOT.PBP file into it.
- Once done, go to your PSP, and you should be able to find this Update File in GAME -> MEMORY STICK.
- Run this file by pressing X and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Your PSP will update to the Firmware of your choice.
Now after you have finished updating your PSP using any of the above methods, on your PSP go to SETTINGS -> SYSTEM SETTINGS -> SYSTEM INFORMATION and check the System Software.
You should be able to see the Firmware Version to which you just updated your device. Once you finish the Update process, you no longer need the Update file. You can delete it from the memory stick.
What is a PSP Firmware?
For people who do not know much about this, Firmware is the system software that runs on your PSP as I have already mentioned. It acts as the operating system of your device and is regularly updated and improved over time by Sony as they find out bugs and problems in their firmware and also when they want to include new features.
People are always trying to find out means to update their PSP and also wondering why they should do it.
The underlying reason is to stay up-to-date with the latest software and get rid of all the bugs and problems that were present in the previous version. And at the same time, it is essential to update your PSP Firmware so that you can play the latest and newly launched games.
We hope, we have explained well on how to update PSP. Let us know if you still have any questions.
- 10 Best Online Photo Sharing Websites
- Best Video Players for Android devices in 2019
- Best Loan apps for Android
- Best Photo Editing Apps for Android
- Best Video Editor Apps for iPhone
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- Best Android Launchers
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android