In my earlier post – ‘How to Update your PSP Firmware’ I mentioned that the Sony PSP runs on system software dubbed–Firmware. Firmware acts as the software or so to say the operating system for your PSP device. Game enthusiasts trying to update their PSP can refer to the post mentioned above. Others, looking for downgrading their PSP are most welcome to read this post. I have highlighted the points to downgrade your PSP to an older Firmware version.
The main reason for downgrading your PSP Firmware is very similar to the reason why we Update it. People downgrade their PSP so that they either have a Permanent Crack on their PSP or because they feel comfortable with a particular Crack version which can only be installed when your PSP device is on a specific Firmware Version. So let us check out how to do it.
How to Downgrade your PSP Firmware
- Download Chronoswitch Downgrader
- Copy to the memory stick & prepare for an update
- Execute the program to downgrade
It is a method using which you can downgrade PSP Firmware (the one you are currently using) to an older Firmware, supported by your device.
To downgrade your PSP Firmware, you will need a tool called ‘Chronoswitch Downgrader.’ You can easily find this tool on the Internet. Once found, download it. Also, download the EBOOT.PBP file for the Firmware version that you want to install on your PSP. Make sure that you are downgrading your PSP to a Firmware that is supported by your PSP.
Steps to downgrade Firmware of PSP
- Connect your PSP to the computer.
- On your PSP Memory Stick, go to PSP -> GAME and paste the Chronoswitch Downgrader folder here.
- Now in PSP -> GAME, make a new folder named UPDATE and paste the EBOOT.PBP file in it.
- If you have done everything correctly, you should observe ‘2 FOLDERS’ in the location PSP -> GAME. One will be the Chronoswitch Downgrader, and the other one will be the Update folder.
- Now disconnect your PSP from the computer.
- On your PSP, go to GAME -> MEMORY STICK and you should find both the above files here.
- Remember that you will not be able to run the Update File directly because you are already on a higher version of Firmware.
- Hence you have to run the ‘Chronoswitch Downgrader’ instead.
- Once done, Chronoswitch Downgrader will force your PSP to check and run the Update File even though the Update File has an older firmware.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, and your device is downgraded to the Firmware Version you wanted.
An important point to be considered here is that Chronoswitch Downgrader might create problems for PSP 3000 devices with model no. 09G. So if you do have a PSP 3000 with model no. 09G, then there is a 50% chance that this method will not work for you. For the rest of the models, there have been no errors or problems reported yet. Hence, I request you to first check the model no. of your PSP before PSP downgrading.