Do Not Disturb feature has been there around for a few years now. Using it, one can silence calls, alerts, and notifications that bother them while their device is locked. iOS 12 has made it possible to use in a better way, and in this guide, we share how you can use Do Not Disturb Mode in iPhone with Control Center features, and more.
Just before we start, prior to iOS 12, the practical utility of this feature was handicapped by limited options. Not anymore! Apple has added some impressive set of features which gives DND mode a new meaning and could be followed by other OEMs on Android.
Guide to use Do Not Disturb Mode in iPhone
Do Not Disturb feature is no longer binary. You can now use it to execute more functions than ever. For example, you can enable Do Not Disturb mode for:
- Geo-Fenced with until I leave this location.
- Timed: 1 hour or during a particular meeting or until this evening.
- Bed Time.
- Calendar integration: Automatically enable DND mode during meetings.
Part of these can be activated through the control center, while others are automated. Let’s take a look at how to use the new ‘Do Not Disturb’ options in the Control Center.
Enable Do Not Disturb Options in Control Center
If you wish to instantly turn on DND, Control Center is here to help. Control Center is a place that enables quick access to certain apps and features. Using it, you can also take a picture, turn on lights, control your Apple TV, and more.
- Swipe from the bottom (down from the upper-right corner of your screen if you are using iPhone X/Xs/Xr and iPads running iOS 12) to open Control Center.
- Look for the Do Not Disturb feature visible as the crescent-shaped moon.
- Gently tap it to enable DND instantly.
If you only want to enable DND for few hours or for a location, then follow the steps:
- 3D touch the icon (pressing with a little force and holding it) to discover new options available in iOS 12 and above.
- Select the desired option
Automatically enable Do Not Disturb Mode during Sleep time
There’s a new ‘Do Not Disturb during Bedtime’ mode introduced in iOS 12. It allows users to dim screen display and hide lock-screen notifications during bedtime. It only becomes visible as a toggle under Settings > Do Not Disturb, when you enable a schedule for Do Not Disturb mode.
Turn it on if you would like to be left undisturbed for the rest of the night. The screen will turn black and you’ll see a dark notification saying that Do Not Disturb mode is now active and that notifications will be silenced.
Enable Do Not Disturb during Meetings
I would love this to go automatic or at least pop-up as a reminder, but right now its manual. When you set up your calendar meeting using the iOS calendar app, DND mode will add an extra option in the Control Center 3D touch.
When you 3D touch the icon (pressing with a little force and holding it), you will see an option Until the end of the next event, with your meeting as a reference. The moment your meeting is over, as per the timing in the calendar, your iPhone will go back to normal mode.
How to allow calls when in DND?
You can also schedule Do Not Disturb and allow calls from certain people. For this,
- Go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘Do Not Disturb‘ option.
- Scroll down to locate ‘ Allow calls from‘ and choose the desired option (Everyone, No One or Favorites).
- I have set mine to ‘Favorites‘.
- Similarly, when in Do Not Disturb’ mode you can set your phone to ring only when someone from favorites category calls you more than once.
- A second call from the same person within a stipulated time (3 minutes) will not be silenced.