The files with the format extension EXE are designed to work with Microsoft Windows Operating System. However, they can also run in Ubuntu or Linux environment Operating System with Wine Emulators. Have you ever wanted to open the same on your Android smartphone and failed? Well, there is no direct tools like Wine Emulator available for the Android platform, but it is possible. You might want to play EXE based games on Android or run an EXE based software. Here is how you can open EXE files on your Android smartphone or tablets without any rooting.
How to open EXE files on your Android phone without rooting
- What is an EXE file?
- Steps to open the EXE file on Android
- Use emulator
- Use remote login software
What is an EXE?
Well, an EXE file is an executable file format that is compatible with Windows Operating System. While opening these types of files, several programs or codes execute on the system, also might install some files. Usually, setup files for computer programs come in this format, and you can easily install the entire package by opening the file. As they run only on specific Operating Systems, other platforms like Android and Linux might not recognize the files natively.
How to open EXE files on your Android phone or Tablet?
There are several ways you can open an executable file on your Android smartphones. Here are the best of the methods to guide you through the installation of Windows-compatible EXE file on Android. And none of the methods need you to root your phone.
1] Use DOSBox Emulator for Android
The DOS Operating System running DOSBox Emulators are most helpful in running Windows or MS-DOS compatible files over cross-platform. You can avail several packages from the Google Play Store that runs the DOS Emulator. Here we use a free app named aFreeBox.
- Download and install aFreeBox on your Android smartphone/tablet.
- While opening the app, you can see the DOS with Command line interface. The default C Drive is set as /storage/emulated/0/Download, which the usual Downloads folder in your Internal Storage.
- Download or copy the EXE file to your smartphone’s Downloads folder, that you wish to open.
- Rename the package to something more comfortable — for example, filename.exe.
- If you want to change the directory, enter
cd [directory-address]on the Command line.
- Enter the file name of the executable file you copied in the currently navigated folder. Followingly hit enter on your Android keyboard.
- You can see the DOSBox install the Application package or game on your device. After finishing, you can open the app.
Please note that not every EXE files will work in this method. Only a few application software are compatible with the DOSBox Emulators.
2] Use Remote Desktop Viewer
Using this method, you can use the EXE files on your smartphones, but not directly. With the help of VNC (Virtual Network Computing) clients, you can access the computer screen remotely and access the files and install it on PC. You can view or control the apps running on the PC using your smartphone. So, effectively, it is similar to opening the apps on your smartphone. Here is the complete guide.
- Install any freeware VNC Client on your PC. TightVNC is one among the best.
- After finishing the initial setup, copy the external IP Address and Port number to route the connection. Also, note down the PC Name if needed.
- From your Android smartphone, install & open any VNC Viewer apps and enter the IP with the port number.
- You will have to enter the passwords and other details if it asks.
- After connection, you can remotely access your PC over the network.
Using the above method, you can install the apps on the computer, but can also access using your smartphone.
- These tricks can make Internet work faster on your smartphone
- These are the most loved mobile phones of all time in the world
- These apps can help you make money through your smartphone
- These are the most followed people on the Instagram
- These are the most followed people on Twitter
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- This is what happens on the Internet in one minute
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android