Ever wondered if you could create disk partition on your Mac?, then the answer is ‘Yes’. Creating a partition on your Mac essentially means splitting its hard drive storage into different volumes. This may also be required or to say can work in favor for you to change the device’s format or to install multiple operating systems, like Windows. In this guide, we share how to create delete and merge partition on MacBook OS.
How to create delete and merge partition on MacBook OS
Before making any changes to your Mac’s drive, make sure that you have it backed up. Also, the drive should have enough free space to create another partition and run existing properly for the MacOS.
Simple steps to create a partition on your Mac on macOS High Sierra or macOS Mojave
- Open Finder from your dock > select Applications
- Scroll down and open ‘Utilities’ folder, and double-click to open Disk Utility.
- Select your ‘Macintosh HD’ hard drive from left drawer if not select already.
- Click on the ‘Partition’ tab option present up-top next to ‘First Aid’.
- Click on Partition and not ‘Add Volume’
- Put the disk partition size in GB and apply.
Note: You can also Click add (+) to increase the number of partitions on the device. Click on each partition to change the name and format. Drag the resize control or enter the size of each partition and click Apply. Furthermore, with Disk Utility, you can delete the partition as well.
Steps to delete & merge a disk partition on macOS High Sierra or macOS Mojave
- Open Finder from your dock > select Applications.
- Scroll down and open ‘Utilities’ folder, and double-click to launch Disk Utility and select the partition which you need to delete.
- Click on the Partition tab > Highlight the partition to be deleted
- Finally, click on the minus (-) sign and then select Remove
Finally, to merge both partitions, in addition to above steps, here’s what you need to follow after step 7.
In partition pie chart, select the Partition A1, and click and hold its corner to drag it over recently deleted Partition B1, and click the Apply button. You’ll be able to merge both the partitions.
Note: Remember to back up the partition else you will lose all the data in deleted/ merged partition.
While it is easy to create delete and merge a partition on MacBook OS, you need to be really careful when doing it. Any delete o merger of partitions will result in loss of data. All the lost data cannot be recovered by any means.