Google Maps one of the most used services in our daily life while traveling. We use it for getting navigation, finding locations and even finding more about a certain location/business on the web. As every Google service does, every information regarding our search and navigation history on Google Maps have records with the Google account. In this guide, we will learn how to delete search and location history in Google Maps on Android.
How to delete search and location history in Google Maps on Android
As history stays, you will see the previous searches, navigated locations while opening the Google Maps app on your Android smartphone. Here are the simplest methods to delete the entire search, location and navigation history on Google Maps using your Android smartphone.
One of the best parts, which sometimes turns out to be the worse, in Google Maps is the search and location suggestion based on our history. When we try to search for a location, it will show the previous search results and visited locations. To avoid making some situations awkward when it shows the search history, the only way is to delete all search history. Here is how you can do it.
- Delete Individual Search/Location History in Google Maps
- Delete complete Google Maps history
- Pause location history
Be aware that once deleted, you cannot restore it by any means.
1] Steps to delete individual Search/Location History in Google Maps
Deleting the search history or location History on Google Maps app is a lot tougher than clearing the whole history. You need to go through individual results and remove them one by one. Here are the ways you can remove individual search/location history on Google Maps.
- Open the Google Maps app on your Android phone.
- Slide from left to right to open the hamburger slider menu.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Choose Maps History from the Settings menu. There you can see the entire search history and location history.
- Tap on the “X” mark on each of the histories to remove the item permanently from your account.
2] Steps to delete complete Google Maps history
Clearing the entire search and location history on Google Maps is easier than clearing them individually. It will remove all data related to your location history from your Google Account forever. There is no way that you could retrieve the data back once it is cleared. So, remove all the history with attention.
- Open the Google Maps app on the phone.
- Swipe to the right and open settings. Choose “Personal Content” from the settings menu.
- Scroll down and tap on “Delete All Location History” to clear everything at once.
- Check the box “I Agree,” and tap on the “Delete” button.
The data will soon be cleared from your account, and you will never have access to those data. It will also delete recent searches on Google maps on Android.
Note: It may affect the proper functioning of the other Google Services like Google Now, Google Assistant, Google Search, etc.
3] Steps to pause location history
Like the Youtube app on Android, you can also prevent Google Maps from storing your location and search history. When you turn it off, google account will no longer keep your record in location data. Also, connected apps might not receive the same. Here is how to pause history in Google Maps.
- Open Google Maps > Settings. Go to Personal Content in the settings menu.
- Scroll down to find “Location History is on,” tap on it.
- From the next window, toggle off the “Use location history” to block Google account from storing your location data.
Location history and Maps search history are crucial parts of personal data. So, in order to prevent it from getting breached, it is good to clear them often (in case you do not require them). Hope you found this helpful.