iPhone 3GS unlock already out for the new firmware but is it supported by all the iPhone 3GS models? Are all the basebands supported? There are a lot of questions which need to be answered before you proceed with iPhone 3GS unlock. If you are looking forward to unlocking iPhone 3GS, go through this guide.
Before we start, make sure you know that not all the iPhone 3GS are unlockable. iPhone 3GS manufactured before 2011 and some produced in 2011 can be safely flashed and unlocked while others cannot.
Guide to iPhone 3GS unlock on any firmware
In this guide, we will follow these steps for easy unlock of iPhone 3GS We will also share how you can unlock the iPad as well by updating the baseband.
- Jailbreak your iPhone
- Find iPhone manufacturing date
- Check if Old or new BooRom
- Update to latest iOS version
- Install iPad Baseband
- Use Cydia and Ultrasn0w to unlock
- Fix No Service issue after unlock
Note: If you dont do the steps right, you may permanently brick your iPhone 3GS. So make sure you clearly understand.
How to find your iPhone manufacturing period?
It is apparent that you need an iPhone 3GS model which can be a jailbreak. So in case, it isn’t, first Jailbreak it.
Now, go to Settings > General > About and check out your serial number. The third, fourth and fifth number of your serial number should be less than ‘127’. The first numerical (1) means Year of manufacture, while the second two numerical(27) implies the week.
So if your phone has serial number ‘xxx129xxx’ it means your phone was manufactured in the 29th week of 2011. Only Proceed if your iPhone was manufactured before the 27th week of 2011. Redsn0w says ‘135’ is safe, but it is not.
The following serial numbers or iPhone 3gs model numbers can be safely flashed with the crack
- xx102xx, xx104xx, xx108xx, xx109xx, xx110xx
- xx112xx, xx113xx, xx119xx, xx120xx, xx121xx
- xx122xx, xx123xx, xx125xx, xx128xx, xx129xx
- xx130xx, xx132xx, and xx133xx
Check if iPhone 3GS has Old or new BootRom?
If you are clear on the serial number and date of manufacture checks, you need to check whether your device has ‘Old BootRom’ or ‘New BootRom.’ There are many ways to find it, but phones with model number starting with ‘MC’ have new BootRom while those manufactured before 40th week are running with old BootRom.
Check iPhone 3GS iOS version?
Now check your iOS version and baseband, it can be done by navigating to Settings > General > About, here look for Version and Modem Firmware, Modem firmware is nothing but the baseband.
If your device has any of the following basebands, you can easily unlock your phone.
04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, and 05.13.04
If your baseband is in the above list, you can easily unlock your phone just by updating to the latest firmware and jailbreaking it.
Note: Before updating to the latest firmware, make sure you have preserved your existing baseband. It can be done by creating a custom firmware using Sn0wbreeze (Windows) and Pwnage Tool (Mac), then follow the unlocking steps, which is at the end of the article.
If your device doesn’t have any of the above basebands, then you need to update your device to iPad baseband.
Note: iPad baseband on iPhone is a ported baseband; it is not officially available. If you update to iPad baseband, you will permanently lose your iPhone baseband series and also GPS functionality. If your baseband is not supported by the unlock, installing iPad baseband is the only way to get your phone unlocked.
Install iPad Baseband
1] To install iPad baseband your device must be on the latest iOS firmware. Use iTunes to update it to the latest firmware. Before upgrading make sure that the firmware can be a jailbreak.
Even if the jailbreak is tethered, users with old BootRom shouldn’t worry. As for them, it is untethered. Those with new BootRom will have to ‘Boot tether’ every time.
2] After you have installed the latest iOS firmware, you will need to jailbreak it. Either use supported version of Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze.
If you are using Redsn0w, follow the procedure and make sure you have checked the ‘Install Cydia’ and ‘Install iPad Baseband’ option.
3] Once the jailbreak process is over your iPhone is a jailbreak. You can see the home screen with a Cydia icon. Your device will still show ‘No Service’ as it is not yet unlocked.
Unlocking your iPhone
Before you start, make sure that you have preserved your baseband. iPad baseband users, your baseband should be ‘6.15.00’.
- Open Cydia and navigate to Manage tab.
- Open ‘Sources’ > Tap on the ‘Edit’ button followed by ‘Add’ button.
- Enter ‘http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com’ and tap ‘Add Source.’
- Search for ‘Ultrasn0w’ and make sure you have selected the correct version by reading the description.
- Once confirmed, Install it and reboot your device.
iPhone 3GS Still on No Service? Here is how to fix it
There are some bugs with the official version of Ultrasn0w. It is possible that even after the reboot, you get to see ‘No Service.’ It can be fixed by using ‘Ultrasn0w fixer’. Follow these steps:
- Open Cydia, navigate to Manage tab and Open Sources.
- Tap on the Edit button followed by Add button.
- Enter ‘http://repo.iparelhos.com’ and tap Add Source.
- Search for ‘Ultrasn0w fixer’ for the respective firmware.
- Once confirmed, Install it and reboot your device.
It will reboot the device, and in a few moments, you should see the signal bars along with the carrier name. That’s it; you have successfully unlocked your iPhone 3GS.
- 10 Best Online Photo Sharing Websites
- Best Video Players for Android devices in 2019
- Best Loan apps for Android
- Best Photo Editing Apps for Android
- Best Video Editor Apps for iPhone
- Best Video Editing Apps for Android
- Best Android Launchers
- Best Android Apps To Draw On Pictures
- Best Android Keyboards with Clipboard Features
- Best Poster Maker Apps for Android